Hyrum K. Wright, PhD
+1 512 560 5010
Lead technical teams in developing solutions to interesting problems. I work best in a fun, fast-paced environment, where my skills and abilities can be used to solve real problems. I am particularly interested in developing great software, and "building cool stuff".
- January 2010-Present | WANdisco, Inc. | Director of Open Source
- Managed team of open source developers working on a number of projects.
- Assisted in implementing company open source initiatives and strategy.
- Dec. 2006-Present | Apache Subversion Open Source Project | Full Committer, Release Manager
- Design and implement features across all aspects of the system; gather user input; speak at user and developer events.
- Release manager since late-2008.
- As final president of the Subversion Corporation, helped orchestrate migration to the Apache Software Foundation.
- Worked on Subversion-related contract and consulting projects, including Google Summer of Code 2007.
- Dec. 2008-Dec. 2009 | PrO Unlimited | Subversion Contractor
- Contractor assigned to Juniper Networks to assist with CVS-to-Subversion migration.
- Helped design and implement new working copy metadata management library for Subversion.
- May 2008-August 2008 | VMware, Inc. | Technical Staff Intern
- Responsible for design and development of Linux guest-based tools notification feature.
- May 2007-May 2008 | University of Texas at Austin | Research Assistant
- Helped develop and test wireless network prototyping environment.
- Ran experiments to test various MAC and physical layer protocol capabilities.
- Sept. 2006-May 2008 | University of Texas at Austin | Teaching Assistant
- Head TA for graduate Engineering Programming Languages course.
- TA for Java-based Data Structures course.
- One of several TAs for entry-level Intro to Programming course.
- April 2002-August 2006 | Brigham Young University, Office of Information Technology | Software Engineer
- While an undergraduate student, helped build and maintain the
University's academic web applications, including registration and
- For the final 1.5 years of my time, I was the lead engineer in developing
a new student planning
product, assisting with the design of the system, and supervising
- January 2005-January 2006 | BYU Ares Project | Avionics Team Leader (Member, Jan. 2004-Jan.2006)
- Directed the design and construction of the flight electronics responsible for controlling a 20-foot hybrid rocket.
- 2008-2012 | University of Texas at Austin
- 2006-2008 | University of Texas at Austin
- M. S. in Engineering, Computer Engineering
- Research area: Software Engineering, Wireless Networking
- 2002-2006 | Brigham Young University
- B.S. in Computer Engineering
- Minor in Mathematics
- Courses of interest include:
- Wireless Communication, Advanced Operating Systems, Computer Networking,
Embedded Systems, Real-Time Operating Systems, Verification & Validation,
Statistical Methods, Requirements Engineering, Compilers, Collaborative Development
- Programming Languages
- Fluent: C, Python, HTML, SQL
- Comfortable: C++, Java, XML
- Previously used: XSLT, Ruby
- Software & Technologies
- Release Engineering
- Open source development practices
- Linux (development & administration)
- MySQL, SQLite databases
- TCP/IP networking
- Version control, particularly
- Additional Skills
- Public speaking
- Team leadership and management
- Understanding of finance and accounting processes
Publications & Presentations
- H. Wright, and D. Perry, Release Engineering Practices and Pitfalls, Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Software Engineering, Zurich, Switzerland, June 6-8, 2012. [PDF]
- J. Tsay, H. Wright, and D. Perry, Experiences Mining Open Source Release Histories, Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Software and Systems Processes, Honolulu, Hawaii, May 21-22, 2011.
- H. Wright, M. Kim and D. Perry, Validity Concerns in Software Engineering Research, Proceedings of the FSE/SDP workshop on Future of software engineering research, Santa Fe, New Mexico, November 7-8, 2010. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- H. Wright, Release Engineering Processes, Models, and Metrics, Doctoral Symposium, ESEC/FSE 2009, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, August 25, 2009. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- H. Wright and D. Perry, Subversion 1.5: A Case Study in Open Source Release Mismanagement, 2nd Emerging Trends in FLOSS Research and Development Workshop, Vancouver, Canada, May 18, 2009. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- W. Kim, M. Khan, K. Truong, S. Choi, R. Grant, H. Wright, K. Mandke, R. Daniels, R. Heath, Jr., S. Nettles, An Experimental Evaluation of Rate Adaptation for Multi-Antenna Systems, INFOCOM 2009, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 20-25, 2009. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- W. Kim, H. Wright, and S. Nettles, Improving the Performance of Multi-hop Wireless Networks using Frame Aggregation and Broadcast for TCP ACKs, ACM CoNEXT 2008, Madrid, Spain, December 9-12, 2008. [PDF] [BibTeX]
- H. Wright, WC-NG: Subversion's New Working Copy Management Library, SubConf & CMConf 2009, Munich, Germany, October 27-29, 2009.
- S. Sperling, H. Wright, Subversion's Release Process, SubConf & CMConf 2009, Munich, Germany, October 27-29, 2009.
- H. Wright, Release Mismanagement: How to Alienate Users and Frustrate Developers, OSCON 2009, San Jose, California, July 20-24, 2009.
- H. Wright, What's New in Subversion 1.6, Southern California Linux Expo 7x, Los Angeles, California, February 20, 2009.
- R. Grant and H. Wright, Hydra: A Wireless Multi-hop Wireless Testbed, OSCON 2008, Portland, Oregon, July 21-25, 2008.
- EDGE Center Scholar, 2006-2007
- BYU University Academic Scholarship, 2002-2006
- Dean's List, 2002-2003, 2003-2004
- Eagle Scout, 1995
- Volunteer missionary, 2000-2002
- Spent two years as a volunteer missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Los Angeles, California. Responsibilities included directing
daily proselyting activities, and managing groups of 6-8 other missionaries in the same.
- Amatuer Radio Operator, Extra Class. Callsign: N7YM
Last updated April 19, 2011. The canonical version of this document is located at http://www.hyrumwright.org/resume.html.